Skip to content
- It works for human settlements and sustainable urban development.
- It is as an outcome of 1st UN Conference on Human Settlements and Sustainable Urban Development (Habitat I) held in Vancouver, Canada, in 1976.
- It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
- It is a member of the UN Development Group.
- The mandate of UN-Habitat derives from the Habitat Agenda, adopted by the UN Conference on Human Settlements (Habitat II) in Istanbul, Turkey, in 1996.
- Headquarter: UN Office at Nairobi, Kenya.
- News Context: India is elected as UN-Habitat President.
- India is elected 3rd time after 2007 and 1988.