Code on Social Security, 2019
It replaces,amends and consolidates nine laws related to social security.
Parliamentary Standing Committee on Labour has submitted report to the Lok Sabha Speaker.
Gender Social Norms Index (GSNI)
- Released by UNDP.
- It measures how social beliefs obstruct gender equality. Eg. in politics, work, and education.
- Despite closing gender inequalities in basic areas like education and health, enormous power gaps still exist between genders in the political and corporate arenas.
UN guidelines on social justice for PWDs
- First ever UN guidelines on access to social justice for people with disabilities.
- To make it easier for them to access justice systems around the world.
POCSO Rules 2020
Notified by the Central government, to give effect to POCSO Act amendments, 2019.
- Police verification of staff: Mandatory for all institutions coming in regular contact with children.
- Orientation programme and intensive courses for police personnel and forensic experts.
- State Governments to formulate a child protection policy based on the principle of zero-tolerance
- Central and State Governments shall
- To provide periodic training to all persons, coming in contact with the children. Eg. sensitization workshops.
- To prepare age-appropriate educational material and curriculum for children. Eg. personal safety, emotional and mental wellbeing, Childline helpline (toll-free number-1098), etc.
Future for the world’s children Report
Launched by WHO, Lancet medical journal and UNICEF.
- Parameters: health, future, climate change.
- Aim: To estimate overall well-being of a child.
- Flourishing Index: geometric mean of surviving and thriving.
- Surviving: eg. maternal and child survival, health, suicide, hygiene, sanitation, and lack of extreme poverty.
- Thriving: eg. educational achievement, growth and nutrition, reproductive freedom, protection from violence.
- Sustainability Index: excess CO2 emissions relative to 2030 targets’ as per the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement.
- Equity: calculated using the Gini coefficient.
Tech for Tribals
- Launched by TRIFED. Supported by the Ministry of MSMEs.
- To develop Tribal entrepreneurship.
- Beneficiaries: tribals enrolled under PM Van Dhan Yojana.
- Entrepreneurship courses: for value addition and processing of forest produces.
- Launched by Tribal Affairs Minister.
Van Dhan Samajik Doori Jagrookta Abhiyaan
- An initiative by TRIFED
- Educating tribals on covid-19: preventive behaviour like social distancing, home quarantine, hygiene etc.
- Van Dhan Self Help Groups (SHGs): To provide with protective masks and hygiene products. Eg. Soaps, Disinfectants, etc.
Joint initiative of
- Ministry of Food Processing Industry
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs and
States can sub-classify SCs/STs: Supreme Court
- States can sub-classify SCs/STs in the Central List to provide preferential treatment to the “weakest out of the weak”.
- By a five-judge constitutional Bench.
- Reservation has created inequalities within the reserved castes.
PM Awas Yojana (Urban) Programme
- Launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation (MoHUPA).
- Mission mode: Housing for All by 2022.
- To address the housing requirement of urban poor including slum dwellers.
- Developing of Affordable Rental Housing Complexes Scheme (ARHCs) for urban migrants/poor.
Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission
- Implemented by MoHUPA.
- A Centrally Sponsored Scheme
- For poverty and vulnerability of urban poor.
- It covers all the statutory towns, to be decided by states.
Street Vendors Act, 2014
- To protect the rights of urban street vendors
- To regulate street vending activities.
Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan (PM-SYM)
- A pension scheme for unorganised workers.
Social Vulnerability of Urban Poor
- PM Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY), PM Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY), Atal Pension Yojana (APY)
- To bring unorganised sector workers across the country under the safety net of insurance and pension.