June 26: International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
Drug abuse: It is the use of certain chemicals for the purpose of creating pleasurable effects on the brain.
- Substances of abuse include alcohol, cocaine, opiates, amphetamines, hallucinogens, and over-the-counter drug abuse.
World Drug Report 2020 released by UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).
- It outlined the possible consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic on Illegal Drug Production, Supply and Consumption.
Golden Triangle and Golden Crescent
Two major opium producing regions of the world.
Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985
- To control and regulation of operations relating to narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances.
- Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) was constituted as nodal drug law enforcement and intelligence agency.
- Responsible for fighting drug trafficking and the abuse of illegal substances.
National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction (NAPDDR) for 2018-2025
- By Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
Nasha Mukt Bharat: Annual Action Plan (2020-21)
- E-launched by Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- For 272 most affected districts.
- To reach out to Children and Youth for awareness.
- Supporting Government Hospitals to open De-addiction Centers.
International collaboration on drugs
- India is a signatory to the three UN Conventions:
- Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, 1961
- Convention on Psychotropic Substances, 1971
- Convention against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances, 1988.
- BIMSTEC Conference on Combating Drug Trafficking: launched by India.