Q5. (b) Should impartial and being non-partisan be considered as indispensable qualities to make a successful civil servant? Discuss with illustrations. (Answer in 150 words) 10
(b) क्या सफल लोक सेवक बनने के लिए निष्पक्ष और गैर-पक्षपाती होना अनिवार्य गुण माना जाना चाहिए? दृष्टांत सहित चर्चा कीजिए। (उत्तर 150 शब्दों में दीजिए)
People who have fled war, violence, conflict, or persecution and crossed an international boundary in search of safety in another country are known as refugees. They have often forced to run with nothing more than the clothes on their backs, abandoning their homes, belongings, jobs, and loved ones behind. The world is witnessing the highest and fastest increase in the number of individuals displaced from their homes. Thousands of people are fleeing conflict in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, and Ukraine, as well as persecution in Southeast Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa, for the first time since World War II. Their arrival in the destination country instils resentment among the local population, and political leaders are influenced by local attitudes, denying refugees basic human rights.
Importance of Refugee ethics
- Refugee ethics provides insight into how countries and other entities treat fellow refugees and migrants.
- Refugee ethics ensures that migrants and refugees have access to basic human rights. These rights cannot be taken away by any boundaries or political system in the globe.
- Political leaders, as well as the local populace, need to show compassion and empathy for the refugees.
Non Discrimination: Refugee ethics encourage no discrimination towards destitute refugees in a foreign country. They must be treated with respect.
Collective Solution: It encourages impacted countries to work together and debate possible solutions. To attain the public good, great leadership and determination are required.
Increase Tolerance: Refugee ethics encourages tolerance and compassion for migrants’ weaker sections in their home countries.
Important steps need to be taken
- Provision of Basic Human Needs: All refugees must have a safe haven, as well as access to basic necessities such as food, clothing, housing, and medical assistance.
- Action as a Group: The multinational organisation should continue to provide financial assistance to refugees and governments in the resettlement and rehabilitation of refugees.
- With financial assistance from the organisation, peacefully seek permanent safe havens in other developing/island states.
Humanity encourages us to rise above petty self-interest and national pride and promote the idea of Vasudhaiva Kutumbkam-“the world is one family.”
(b) Should impartial and being non-partisan be considered as indispensable qualities to make a successful civil servant? Discuss with illustrations (Answer in 150 words)
IMPARTIALITY & NON-PARTISANISHIP
Both the terms are related to foundational values of administration. They are related to non-discrimination or absence of discrimination. They are based on principle of justice and fairness which suggest that civil servants should perform their duty with high commitement to public interest and they should not discriminate against anybody. They are understood in two sense:
- Political Sense.
- Social Sense
Political Sense: In Political sense it is based on the concept of civil service neutrality which is the foundation of civil services and which requires that civil services should be politically neutral. It is the part of politico-administration dichotomy which requires that civil servant should be politically neutral. So, the Concept of impartiality & non- partisanship also suggest that civil servants should not participate in any political activity, should not support any political ideology publicly and it also requires that a leader should not be helped unfairly. In this regard, Masterman Committee finds three components of it:-
- Minister’s confidence upon a civil servant and a civil servant undivided loyalty to the ministers.
- Citizen’s confidence upon a civil servant for greater legitimacy of his actions and decisions.
- Civil service confidence upon civil servants which is required to protect them in case of political victimization.
Apart from these provisions a civil servant is required to follow the principle of confidentiality and other restrictions or limitations imposed on him.
Social Sense: So, it is clear from the above that political neutrality is required for impartial policymaking but civil servants are the main policy implementing body or agents of the government. Therefore, for the impartial and effective policy implementation, civil servant should have non discriminatory behavior towards the public for which they should work on merit and Principle of Equal treatment to everybody.
In the present situation, impartiality and non partisanship is fundamentally required because today political division is increasing, sectional interest is being more asserted, coalition government is found in practice, politico-administrative Nexus is also found which may cause corruption and at the level of society rising or increasing level of Identity politics and social divisions, many problems are appearing in our society like castism, communalism, regionalism, naxalism, separatism, opportunism etc. This problem can be countered and people can be represented equally on the basis of principle of impartiality and non partisanship.