Q12. पवन पिछले दस वर्षों से राज्य सरकार में अधिकारी के पद पर कार्यरत है। नियमित स्थानांतरण के अंतर्गत उसे दूसरे विभाग में तैनात किया गया। उसने अन्य पाँच साथियों के साथ एक नए कार्यालय में कार्यभार ग्रहण किया। कार्यालय का प्रमुख एक वरिष्ठ अधिकारी था जो अपने कार्यालय की कार्य प्रणाली में निपुण था। सामान्य पूछताछ के दौरान पवन को पता चला कि वरिष्ठ अधिकारी का खुद का पारिवारिक जीवन अशांत होने के साथ–साथ वह कठोर और असंवेदनशील छवि वाला है। शुरू में लगा कि सब ठीक चल रहा है। हालांकि, कुछ समय बाद ही पवन ने महसूस किया कि उसका वरिष्ठ अधिकारी आमतौर पर उसको अपमानित करता था और कभी–कभी अविवेकी था। बैठकों में पवन जो भी सुझाव देता था उन्हें सिरे से खारिज कर दिया जाता था और दूसरों की उपस्थिति में वरिष्ठ अधिकारी नाराजगी व्यक्त करता था यह वरिष्ठ अधिकारी के काम की शैली का तरीका बन गया जिसमें उसको अलग ढंग से दिखाया जाता है, उसकी कमजोरियों को उजागर किया जाता और सार्वजनिक रूप से अपमानित किया जाता था । यह स्पष्ट हो गया कि यद्यपि ये काम से संबंधित कोई गंभीर समस्या/कमिया नहीं थी लेकिन वरिष्ठ अधिकारी हमेशा किसी ना किसी बहाने से उसे डांटता और उस पर चिल्लाता । पवन के लगातार उत्पीड़न और सार्वजनिक आलोचना के परिणाम स्वरूप उसके आत्मविश्वास, आत्मसम्मान और समभाव, को नुकसान पहुंचा । पवन ने महसूस किया कि वरिष्ठ अधिकारी के साथ उसके संबंध और अधिक विषाक्त होते जा रहे हैं तथा यह निरंतर तनावग्रस्त चिंतित एवं दबाव महसूस करने लगा उसका मन नकारात्मकता से भरा हुआ था और उसे मानसिक यातना, पीड़ा, और व्यथा को झेलना पड़ रहा था । आखिरकार, इसने इसके व्यक्तिगत और पारिवारिक जीवन को बुरी तरह से प्रभावित किया और संतुष्ट नहीं रहता था बल्कि बिना किसी कारण के वह अपनी पत्नी और परिवार के अन्य सदस्यों के साथ अपना आपा खो देता था पारिवारिक वातावरण सुखद और अनुकूल नहीं रह गया था । उसकी पत्नी जो हमेशा उसके साथ देती थी वह भी ना करत माता और शत्रुता पूर्ण व्यवहार का शिकार हो गई । कार्यालय में के अपमान उत्पीड़न के कारण उसके जीवन से आराम और खुशी लगभग गायब हो गई इस प्रकार इससे उसके शारीरिक और मानसिक व्यवस्था को नुकसान पहुंचाया ।
(a) इस स्थिति से निपटने के लिए पवन के पास कौन से विकल्प उपलब्ध है?
(b) कार्यालय और घर में शांति, प्रशांति और सौहार्दपूर्ण वातावरण लाने के लिए पवन को क्या दृष्टिकोण अपनाना चाहिए?
(c) एक बाहरी व्यक्ति के रूप में वरिष्ठ अधिकारी तथा अधीनस्थ दोनों के लिए इस कार्य निष्पादन और मानसिक तथा भावना भावनात्मक स्वास्थ्य में सुधार के लिए आपके क्या सुझाव है?
(d) उपर्युक्त परिदृश्य में, आप सरकारी कार्यालयों में विभिन्न स्तरों के अधिकारियों के लिए किस प्रकार के प्रशिक्षण का सुझाव देंगे ? (उत्तर 250 शब्दों में दीजिए)
Q12. Pawan is working as an officer in the State Government for the last ten years. As a part of routine transfer, he was posted to another department. He joined in a new office along with five other colleagues. The head of the office was a senior officer conversant with the functioning of the office. As a part of general inquiry, Pawan gathered that his senior officer carries the reputation of being difficult and insensitive person having his own disturbed family life. Initially, all seem to go well. However, after some time Pawan felt that the senior officer was belittling him and at times unreasonable. Whatever suggestions given or views expressed by Pawan in the meetings were summarily rejected and the senior officer would express displeasure in the presence of others. It became a pattern of boss’s style of functioning to show him in bad light highlighting his shortcomings and humiliating publically. It became apparent that though there are no serious work-related problems/shortcomings, the senior officer was always on one pretext or the other and would scold and shout at him. The continuous harassment and public criticism of Pawan resulted in loss of confidence, self-esteem and equanimity. Pawan realized that his relations with his senior officer are becoming more toxic and due to this, he felt perpetually tensed, anxious and stressed. His mind was occupied with negativity and caused him mental torture, anguish and agony. Eventually, it badly affected his personal and family life. He was no longer joyous, happy and contented even at home. Rather without any reason he would loose his temper with his wife and other family members. The family environment was po longer pleasant and other family members. The family environment was no longer pleasant and him in the office, comfort and happiness
(a) What are the options available with Pawan to cope up with the situation?
(b) What approach Pawan should adopt for bringing peace, tranquility and congenial environment in the office and home?
(c) As an outsider, what are your suggestions for both boss and subordinate to overcome this situation and for improving the work performance, mental and emotional hygiene?
(d) In the above scenario, what type of training would you suggest for officers at various levels in the government offices? (Answer in 250 words) 20
- His Boss
- Other colleagues in office.
- Pawan’s Family
- Other state government officials
Good Working conditions is an essential right of employers in both public and private sector. Harassment and mental torture at the work place is not only illegal but also highly unethical practice. It directly impacts the human dignity.
For the holistic development of all the individuals’ good physical, mental, emotional and psychological health is imperative.
In the given scenario, Pawan is working under immense toxic environment, which is impacting his own emotional health and its relations with his family. His boss’s behaviors are also undermining the self-respect and morale of pawan. This is apparently not a work environment, where pawan can nurture both his personal and professional life.
- Options available with Pawan
- Since, Pawan is working under the state government, he should file a complaint against his senior officer for his extremely unprofessional and toxic behavior at the work place. He can also adopt the judicial path if his grievances’ are not properly addressed
- He can also seek for transfer to another office, since this work environment is intolerant for him and now it is also impacting his relations with his wife.
- He can form a consensus with other colleagues/ employs if they have faced or facing the similar humiliation. Collective voice can be effective in these kind of scenarios. If he is only behaving like this if pawan, he should file a discrimination case against the senior officer.
- He must share this emotional trauma with his family members. This will develop understanding and he will get emotional support.
- He should show courage and directly communicate with the senior official regarding not to behave like this in future, since self-respect is very essential for the holistic development of any individual.
- Pawan should develop emotional intelligence by not venting out the office anger at home.
(b). As mentioned above, the senior official is also having disturbed personal life, but that should not be the excuse for his emotionally unhealthy behavior at work place.
- Pawan can make efforts to be cordial with his senior for some time., but it the same thing is not reciprocating he should adopt other means.
- Emotional intelligence is very important for a balanced life and holistic development of any individual. Pawan should learn this by practicing tools like Yoga and Meditation. This will make his personal, professional life in Harmony.
- Interaction and discussion with family is very important for emotional health. Pawan must discuss his situation with his wife. This will give him moral and emotional support. At the same time, family will give him valuable insight regarding any future course of action.
(c). As an outsider, my take is that an intervention by any higher authority is need of an hour in the given situation. Also a transparent committee must be set up to oversight and investigate the whole situation.
- If the committee finds Senior official guilty after an unbiased investigation, strict action must be taken against him to set a right example of professionalism.
- If required Pawan must be sent to counselling center. At the same time Senior official should also be send to counselling center, if he is facing any emotional or psychological problems.
- Frequent seminars and team building activities should be carried out to maintain peace and harmony is the office. Lessons of emotional intelligence, empathy and compassion and team spirit should be taught to all employees irrespective of the hierarchy.
- Public officers are dealing with the wide range of issues every day. Also at times they are working under extreme stress environment. In these kind of working conditions, lessons of emotional intelligence must be taught to offices at various levels of government.
- At the same time, they have to collectively work in a team, for that various team building modules must be taught to them. Life learnings and ethical principles of Mahatma Gandhi, Swami Vivekananda, Lord Buddha etc. must be taught to them.
Social interaction skills and persuasion skills should also be taught to them.