Q 1 (b). Identify ten essential values that are needed to be an effective public servant. Describe the ways and means to prevent non-ethical behavior in the public servants. (Answer in 150 words) 10
(b) उन दस आधारभूत मूल्यों की पहचान कीजिए, जो एक प्रभावी लोक सेवक होने के लिए आवश्यक है। लोक सेवकों में गैर-नैतिक व्यवहार के निवारण के तरीकों और साधर्नों का वर्णन कीजिए।
Ethics are rules that translates the values into everyday life. There are several values but Nolan committee and the 2nd ARC Report has stated values that help in the effective functioning of public servant that is one who works for and in the government
- Transparency that involves the sharing information and acting in an open manner. That helps in controlling corruption in public life and upholds accountability and deliver information to stakeholders. It covers the abuses.
- Accountability is the fundamental aspect that prevents the abuse of power and achieves efficiency, effectiveness, responsiveness and transparency in civil services.
- Justice is the fairness associated and the ability to judge without reference to one’s feelings or interests. These principles of justice and fairness are needed in civil service to ensure that the common man receives his due without biasness, inefficiencies or greed.
- Courage of conviction as against the circumstances, fear, passions, greed governing the best course of action despite various temptations and risks.
- The Spirit of Service that is the Quality of being committed to public service without any self motives that help in staying committed to service.
- Honesty being true to the aim of standing with the profession.
- Legality that protects the action of a public servant as the procedures followed were under the ambit of law.
- Innovative and competence ensures that a public servant is open to the new innovations that takes place in the technological setup and holds on high the professional ethics.
- Leadership qualities in a public servant no matter belonging to whichever organisation helps not just for the individual to develop as a person but also the organisation to grow as in the case of Satish Dhawan ISRO who stood true to the leadership qualities and took the onus on to himself. This learning from him as a subordinate by APJ Abdul Kalam made him what he was.
- Tolerance and humanity as at the end of the day it is the welfare of the people that motivates the servants to work for the public.
Sometimes not all the unethical behaviour in public servants can be regulated. The professional ethics and its maintenance can be assured by observing policies of perform perish. There also needs to be the observance of behavioural change. There should be inducement of discipline and working through clear deadlines. The change must come from the bottom and not top. Ethical standards although to an extent be enforced through adequate maintenance of law and policy making but the use of behavioural economics to can be imbibed to prevent going against the effective setup.