Q1. (a) Identify five ethical traits on which one can plot the performance of a civil servant. Justify their inclusion in the matrix. (Answer in 150 words)
उन पाँच नैतिक लक्षणों की पहचान कीजिए, जिनके आधार पर लोक सेवक के कार्य-निष्पादन का आकलन किया जा सकता है। मेट्रिक्स में उनके समावेश का औचित्य सिद्ध कीजिए। (उत्तर 150 शब्दों में दीजिए)
A Civil Servant holds the public office based on trust. This single most important connotation is based on the fact that this trust at no cost can be breached as it is the bedrock on which the institution lies. The strong foundational values of civil services lies on trust.
They ensure that there is management of the government affairs, it deals with the system of governance and helps in managing the affairs effectively.
Ethics in Civil Services essentially plays an important role as it is an incessant inquiry that cant be statistically defended through a few conditions. Although governance that is based on the process of decision making that constant improvement in the quality of decision making is the most important aspect.
Some of the ethical traits that help in assessing the performance of a civil servant-
- Commitment and dedication towards service. This quality alone governs the intent and the approach of a civil servant towards the job that has been assigned to the civil servant and governs the accountability towards the work given. S Jaishankar is often said works 9 to 9 in office reflects the kind of work commitment that he has.
- Emotionally intelligent that calls for an administrator to be neutral, impartial, superior and rational. As it helps in enhancing the democratic work culture and self awareness.
- Integrity that helps in accruing a civil servant with a 360 degree viewpoint with a wholesome vision.
- Compassion and empathy towards the section that need an innovative solution and effective resolution of the problem by not compromising on the high standards of objectivity.
- Courage to stand for truth and against all possible injustice that is meted to in the society that appears as a stumbling block for all the good to happen.
Essentially maintaining these high standards of traits help a civil servant maintain the trust repose on him by society and the government.