Q9. किसी राज्य–विशेष की राजधानी में यातायात की भीड़ को कम करने के लिए एक एलिवेटेड कॉरिडोर का निर्माण किया जा रहा है। आपकी पेशेवर क्षमता और अनुभव के आधार पर आपको इस प्रतिष्ठित परियोजना के परियोजना प्रबंधक के रूप में चुना गया है। अगले दो वर्षों में परियोजना को पूरा करने की समय–सीमा 30 जून, 2021 है क्योंकि इसका उद्घाटन मुख्यमंत्री द्वारा जुलाई 2021 के दूसरे समाह में चुनाव की घोषणा से पहले होना है। निरीक्षण दल द्वारा औचक निरीक्षण करते समय, संभवतः खराब सामग्री के इस्तेमाल के कारण एलिवेटेड कॉरिडोर के एक पाये में एक छोटी–सी दरार देखी गई थी। आपने तुरंत मुख्य अभियंता को सूचित किया और आगे का काम रोक दिया। आपके द्वारा यह आकलन किया गया था कि एलिवेटेड कॉरिडोर के कम–से–कम तीन पायों को तोड़ना और उनका पुनर्निमाण किया जाना है। परंतु यह प्रक्रिया परियोजना में कम–से–कम चार से छः महीने की देरी कर देगी। किन्तु मुख्य अभियंता, ने निरीक्षण दल के अवलोकन को इस आधार पर निरस्त कर दिया कि यह एक छोटी–सी दरार है जो किसी भी तरह से पुल की क्षमता और टिकाऊपन को प्रभावित नहीं करेगी। उसने आपको निरीक्षण दल के अवलोकन की अनदेखी कर उसी गति तथा लय के साथ काम जारी रखने का आदेश दिया। उसने आपको सूचित किया कि मंत्री कोई देरी नहीं चाहते हैं क्योंकि वे एलिवेटेड कॉरिडोर का उद्घाटन मुख्यमंत्री से चुनाव की घोषणा होने से पहले करवाना चाहते हैं। यह भी सूचित किया कि ठेकेदार मंत्री का दूर का रिश्तेदार है और वे चाहते हैं कि वह इस परियोजना को पूरा करे। उसने आपको इशारा भी किया कि अतिरिक्त मुख्य अभियंता के रूप में आपकी आगे की पदोन्नति मंत्रालय के विचाराधीन है। तथापि आपने दृढ़ता से महसूस किया कि एलिवेटेड कॉरिडोर के पाये में छोटी–सी दरार पुल की क्षमता और जीवनकाल पर प्रतिकूल प्रभाव डालेगी और इसलिए एलिवेटेड कॉरिडोर की मरम्मत न करना बहुत खतरनाक होगा।
(a) दी गई शर्तों के तहत परियोजना प्रबंधक के रूप में आपके पास कौन–से विकल्प उपलब्ध हैं?
(b) वे कौन–सी नैतिक दुविधाएँ हैं, जिनका परियोजना प्रबंधक सामना कर रहा है?
(c) परियोजना प्रबंधक द्वारा सामना की जाने वाली व्यावसायिक चुनौतियाँ क्या हैं और उन चुनौतियों से पार पाने के लिए उसकी प्रतिक्रिया क्या है?
(d) निरीक्षण दल द्वारा उठाए गए अवलोकन की अनदेखी के परिणाम क्या हो सकते है? (उत्तर 250 शब्दों में दीजिए)
An elevated corridor is being constructed to reduce traffic congestion in the capital of a particular state. You have been selected as project manager of this prestigious project on your professional competence and experience. The deadline is to complete the project in next two years by 30 June, 2021 , since this project is to be inaugurated by the Chief Minister before the elections are announced in the second week of July 2021 . While carrying out the surprise inspection by inspecting team, a minor crack was noticed in one of the piers of the elevated corridor possibly due to poor material used. You immediately informed the chief engineer and stopped further work. It was assessed by you that minimum three piers of the elevated corridor have to be demolished and reconstructed. But this process will delay the project minimum by four to six months. But the chief engineer overruled the observation of inspecting team on the ground that it was a minor crack which will not in any way impact the strength and durability of the bridge. He ordered you to overlook the observation of inspecting team and continue working with same speed and tempo. He informed you that the minister does not want any delay as he wants the Chief Minister to inaugurate the elevated corridor before the elections are declared. Also informed you that the contractor is far relative of the minister and he wants him to finish the project. He also gave you hint that your further promotion as additional chief engineer is under consideration with the ministry. However, you strongly felt that the minor crack in the pier of the elevated corridor will adversely affect the health and life of the bridge and therefore it will be very dangerous not to repair the elevated corridor.
(a) Under the given conditions, what are the options available to you as a project manager?
(b) What are the ethical dilemmas being faced by the project manager?
(c) What are the professional challenges likely to be faced by the project manager and his response to overcome such challenges?
(d) What can be the consequences of overlooking the observation raised by the inspecting team?
(Answer in 250 words) 20
- Project Manager
- Chief Engineers
- Chief Minister and other leaders of his party
- Citizens of that constituency
(a). Under the given conditions, what are the option available to you as a project manager?
In this situation, Chief Minister and his party is in a haste to complete the project for their own political benefits. This move may adversely affect the citizens of that constituency if any catastrophic accident will take place in future. Citizens life cannot be put in danger for anyone’s political advantage. Project Manager must make efforts to stop the further construction before solving the minor crack.
Options Available with Project Manager
- Persuade the Chief Engineer to stop the project by understanding him the gravity of the situation.
- Directly communicate with the chief minister that further green signal to this project can put citizens lives at stake. Project Manager should persuade him that any future accident can put his political career in danger.
- If persuasion is not working, Project Manager must convey this situation to Civil society, Media or Opposition leaders to put more pressure on the government to resolve the technical glitch in the construction. However, in this case project manager’s job and personal safety is at stake. But in any case he has to show courage and integrity.
(b). What are the ethical dilemmas being faced by the project manager?
In this condition Project Manager is up against multiple ethical dilemmas
- Professional gain vs Public interest (Lives of Citizens): If Projects manger agrees with Chief Engineer and Chief Minister and go ahead with the project, he may be promoted up the ladder. But apparently that is unethical and immoral. Even though the crack is very minor, there should be absolutely no scope of doubt in such projects where larger public interest is involved. Here the main ethical conflict is his professional gains vs his conscience.
- His job vs his integrity: In this scenario if he chose to take a stand against the government, there are utmost chances that he will lose his job. Also politicians can pay vendetta card against him. So there is a threat to his personal life as well. On the other hand, his integrity will push him to stop further work in the project.
(c) Professional Challenges faced by the project manager and his response to overcome such challenges?
- On one hand, if he put aside his ethical values and go ahead with the project, He may gain benefits from his patronage. That would be fruitful for his professional life. But in that case he will always be in guilt if any accident occurs in that construction. In that case he will also be part of the crime.
- As mentioned above he may be suspended from his job if he takes any divergent view on this issue, since top political class is involved in the issue. That is the biggest professional challenge against him.
- His Responses: Most appropriate response should be to stay upright and show resentment against government’s decision, even though he has to put his job at stake.
- Second, he must take support from other influential people from the same political party or opposition parties, civil society and other pressure groups.
(d). What can be the consequences of overlooking the observation raised by the inspecting team?
- Collapse of the elevated corridor can be the worst consequence of this minor negligence. Which may cause large scale causalities.
- Construction without proper planning may also lead to the situation like stampede.
- These type of construction can be very fragile in case of any natural calamities like heavy rain, earthquake etc.